I guess people haven’t heard the controversy around phthalates and their effects on health. The American Chemical Council says they’re safe. The EU has banned some of these chemicals. I’m not a chemist nor am I a biologist. Regardless of whether they are deemed safe or not, it has been shown that pthalates come out of plastic water bottles and stay in the human body. They are not natural and I don’t want chemicals accumulating in my body or in that of my offspring. Do you?
In addition to phthalates, there are other issues.
- Bottled water is all marketing. The “pristine” water they are selling has been put into plastic bottles. I’d say it’s not pristine anymore.
- It’s been transported from across the world at a great cost. It’s not supporting your local economy for sure.
- It takes oil to make plastic bottles…a lot.
- Do you know the difference between purfied water, distilled water and spring water? What about glacial water? Tap water? The bottled water business is glad you don’t.
- People in Sub-Saharan Africa don’t even have tap water and luxury bottled water sales are ever increasing. Does that seem right?
A recent New York Times article detailing the turning tide is here: bottled water consumption.